Other Filings

Filings for Business Owners to be aware of (Other than Income Tax Returns)

Business owners should be aware of additional filings required for their businesses beyond their income tax returns. Below is a list of common filings to be aware of. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list.

New – Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) Reporting – My Reporting Guide

Most states require filing an annual report to update contact information and pay an annual fee to the state to keep the business active and in good standing. These filings are typically straight-forward as they’re usually as simple as updating contact information and paying a fee. These returns are typically required to be submitted by owners or officers of the business.

(All States) Payroll Tax Return Filings (Federal, State, and Local). These are typically handed by payroll companies you engage, when applicable.

(Most States) State Sales Tax Filings, if applicable.

(Most States) State and Local Business License Renewals, if applicable.

Below are some common state-specific filings. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list.


DC Bi-Annual Report https://dlcp.dc.gov/

DC Property Tax Returns (Form FP-31) https://mytax.dc.gov/

John Sutton’s Guide on DC Property Tax Returns

My Tax DC Website FAQ: https://mytax.dc.gov/WebFiles/faq/faq.html


MD requires Annual Reports including a Personal Property Tax Returns https://egov.maryland.gov/BusinessExpress/


TX requires Franchise Tax Returns for LLCs and corporations https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/franchise/


VA County Business Tangible Property Tax Returns

VA County Business and Occupational License Tax Returns, if applicable


WA Business and Occupational Taxes (Gross Receipts Tax)